Iran's role in the Syrian Civil War
Iran views the survival of Assad's Syrian government as crucial to its ultimate objectives in the region. Ultimately, Iran is partly responsible for the massacre taking place in Aleppo. Here are five ways that Iran has impacted the war in Syria:
1. Iran has given logistical, financial, and technical support to the Syrian National Forces.
2. Iran has offered training to Syrian national forces.
3. The Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps has fought to defeat the rebels in Syria
4. The Iranian Revolutionary Guard was instrumental in executing the siege of Aleppo by cutting off rebel supply routs. (Aleppo is a city of strategic importance to Iran)
5. During a ceasefire, Iran-backed militias reportedly opened fire on the evacuation convoy, and then took 800 hostages after attacking the convoy.